Tuesday 10 January 2017

Turkish Meatballs - simple but special

Carole's Chatter: Turkish Meatballs


These Turkish Meatballs were a doddle to make but tasted quite special.  Result!

Ingredients:

Mince – a mix of ground lamb and beef (try to make sure you include some lamb – this adds depth of flavour) – I had about 2 pounds or 1 kilo of meat in total

2 small onions – grated

2 slices of dry bread (moistened with water)

1 egg

Chopped parsley – a good handful

1 teaspoon of cumin powder

3 teaspoons of salt

Lots of ground black pepper

Just mix all that lot up so it is well mixed but not gooey.  I did it by hand using disposable gloves – only because it kept my hands clean.

Then roll the mix into little sausage shaped meatballs – I find this easier to do if you moisten your hands/gloves first.

Leave your meatballs to rest in the fridge for at least an hour before cooking them.  I had made quite a lot of meatballs so I put some into the freezer with plastic between them – they cooked up just fine a couple of weeks later.

To cook your meatballs just fry them in a mix of butter and oil.  I served the kofte with 2 sauces.  One was a mix of chilli sauce and tomato sauce (ketchup).  The other was a mix of mustard, mayo and limoncello.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely don't cook with lamb enough. These look and sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers