Wednesday 31 August 2016

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler



I read a review of Vinegar Girl that intrigued me enough to order it up from the library.  Without that encouragement I would not have read it because it is a contemporary retelling of the Shakespeare play The Taming of the Shrew – which isn't one of my faves.

But this re-telling works on a stand alone basis.  Anne Tyler is a very accomplished writer indeed.  I also enjoyed her book Digging to America

This book was written as part of a project to mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death.

This was an enjoyable read but it would have been even better if the author hadn't been restricted to the Shakespearean plot.  I'd love to see some of the endearing characters in another book.

3 comments:

  1. I love Anne Tyler! I need to check this out.....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. Tyler is a personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have connected the title with Shakespeare and the cover is so pretty as well. Thank you for the update on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers