Sunday 21 August 2016

Mushrooms on Toast – an old favourite

Carole's Chatter: Mushrooms on Toast


For a quick lunch you can whip up some mushrooms on toast.  This is all you need:

½ onion, chopped
1 punnet mushrooms – I just used white button
½ tsp porcini powder to give depth of flavour
Touch of chilli flakes
Small amount of chicken stock (optional if you don't eat meat of course)
Splosh of brandy

Just sautée the onion for a couple of minutes in a mix of olive oil and butter and then add the sliced mushrooms and the spices.   When they are cooked add the stock and brandy and cook for another minute or so.  Right at the end (and off the heat) stir through a spoonful of crème fraiche – could have been cream or sour cream.

Served on toast it will make a nice lunch.

8 comments:

  1. I've not tried mushrooms on toast but will certainly do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but I love toast. My son and his family would love this though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds perfect for lunch or even a light dinner with a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the aroma of brandy or Marsala when it hits the pan and the juices all mingle. Makes my tummy grow, immediately. Great lunch you have here. I am a mushroom lover for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I liked mushrooms. I like the simplicity of this and it looks filling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! I love simple but delicious meals like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is a mushroom fanatic! I will definitely try this recipe once the weather cools off a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't beat mushrooms and brandy such a good combo!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers