Tuesday 12 April 2016

Silverbeet, salmon & cheese frittata revisited

Carole's Chatter: Silverbeet, salmon & cheese frittata revisited


Today I am revisiting a frittata dish in honour of the upcoming Food on Friday: Eggs

What we call silverbeet, I think many of you call Swiss Chard.  This Silverbeet, Salmon & Cheese Frittata made for a fab lunch.  Not only did it taste nice, I had the good feeling of getting some leafy greens into the dish.

The first thing I did was put on the oven – duh!  Then I sautéed ½ a diced onion in a mixture of duck fat and coconut oil (some I had left over from doing duck the night before).  When the onion was nicely translucent without being at all burned I added a handful of torn up silverbeet (I didn't use the stalky bits).  In about a minute it is nicely wilted and you can take it off the heat.

I then whisked 8 eggs with a hand whisk until they were light yellow with bubbles.  In went ½ a cup of cream (it could have been milk).  I stirred this together with salt and white pepper and then added the onion and the silverbeet.

I poured this mixture into a greased ovenproof dish and popped in some halved cherry tomatoes to make it look pretty.

This is what it looked like before adding the grated cheese on top and going into the oven.

If you had a pan that you could put straight into the oven you could just add the eggy mixture and let it sit on the element for a couple of minutes and then transfer the whole thing to the oven.

I added a cup of grated cheese on top and cooked it for about 15 minutes in a moderate oven until it had puffed up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers