Tuesday 5 April 2016

Chicken and celery stock

Carole's Chatter - Chicken and Celery Stock


I apologise if you are tired of me banging on about the joys of home-made stocks!  This time I made a chicken stock.  Rather than having all sorts of aromats and vegetables in with the chicken, I used just the top half of a head of celery (including the leaves), some peppercorns and a couple of bay leaves.

I bought some chicken carcasses from the supermarket – if I was better organised (and had a bigger freezer) I would have saved them after roasts.

I roasted the chicken carcasses (which I tried to cut in half) with a splash of oil until the bones were a bit golden but not burned.  This took about 45 minutes in a moderate oven.

I 2/3rd filled a large stock pot with filtered water and put it on to heat.  As it was warming I put in the roasted chicken bones and the celery, bay leaves and peppercorns.  I did not add any salt.  You have to remember this and compensate with salt when you use the stock in dishes.

I simmered this for just under 24 hours – on the lowest setting possible.  I didn't skim it or use an egg white to clarify the stock so maybe the end result wasn't perfectly clear – but it doesn't seem to affect the flavour.

When the stock is cool enough to handle, strain it and put it into clean jars – for what you'll be using quickly – and freeze the rest.  For once I remembered to label and date it!

2 comments:

  1. Carole,
    That's the hardest part for me--remembering to label the packages that go in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can look at my blog to see prices, and nutritional facts of chicken at different grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers