Tuesday 22 September 2015

Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

 
Since I've been avoiding garlic and onion – and been much better for it too – I have avoided making classics that rely on those ingredients.  But I decided to give Shepherd's Pie a go.  Shepherd's Pie is traditionally made from leftover lamb and mashed potatoes.  If you make it with mince (ground beef) it is then called a cottage pie.

So first I gently heated some oil in my casserole dish – which can also go onto the top of the stove.  I added a few spices to the oil – cumin, chilli powder, turmeric, asafoetida and let the flavours meld for a minute or two. 

Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)


I then added some finely diced carrot and freshly grated ginger – a good knob.  If you wanted to add onion and garlic this is when you'd add it.

I added some finely chopped fresh herbs – rosemary (a smidge only), thyme, chives and basil together with a couple of bay leaves which I left in large pieces so I could fish them out later.

While this is sautéing very gently I chopped up the leftover lamb (reserving the bones in the freezer for making stock later). 

You add the lamb, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some tomato paste, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, porcini powder, a teaspoon of sugar, a splash of lemon juice and stir.


Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

Just let that keep cooking gently while you prepare your mashed potatoes.


Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

Spoon your mashed potato on the top – I went for the rustic look.  Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated cheese and a few dobs of butter.

I prepared this a bit in advance so at this point I popped the dish into the fridge but you could cook it right away.

To finish it just needs to be baked in a moderate oven until it is piping hot and the topping is nice and brown.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the difference between Shepherd's Pie, and Cottage Pie. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your good recipe for these dishes without onion and garlic. So many people can't tolerate these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is for me! I am allergic to onions! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for this, have a friend coming round this evening who is allergic to onions and garlic and didn't have a clue what to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this as i have run out of onions,still under lockdown....very easy and delicious recipe


    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! Excellent recipe to make, keep and enjoy later. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent. My wife has banned me from the kitchen because I bastardise all her cooking. I simply hate onions....so bitter...so that now I can try this recipe with anticipation. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers