Sunday 21 September 2014

Lamb with Yoghurt and Turmeric


Lamb with Yoghurt and Turmeric by Carole's Chatter


The idea for this dish of  Lamb with Yoghurt and Turmeric was drawn from Eat by Nigel Slater.  As with all his dishes, it is quite simple to do and doesn't have too many ingredients.
I had 2 lamb backstraps which I cut in half making 4 pieces of meat.  You could also use lamb steaks.
Make up a mixture of garlic oil, fennel seeds, pepper, turmeric, coriander seeds (crushing any whole seeds in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder), salt, yoghurt and crème fraiche.

Lamb with Yoghurt and Turmeric by Carole's Chatter

Leave the lamb coated in the mixture for an hour and a half.
Fry in oil in a hot pan until the yoghurt crust sets and then turn and cook the other side – this does not take long at all.  Use a meat thermometer to check doneness.  And yes, it does make a difference if you rest the meat for at least 10 minutes before serving. 
I served this with rice and mushy peas.

5 comments:

  1. I like the sound of a marinade with yogurt and creme fraiche! And turmeric is supposedly a good anti-inflammatory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We adore lamb. This sounds easy and it looks like you cooked it to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious!!! I'm pinning this.
    I watched Nigel Slater yesterday for the first time and pinned a recipe from that episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of Nigel Slater until this weekend and now I see his name popping up everywhere! I love lamb but I've never cooked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious and I adore lamb.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers