Sunday 31 August 2014

Red Eggs


Red Eggs by Carole's Chatter


I got the idea for these Red Eggs from Michael Ruhlman but he referred to them as Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce.  I don't think they fit the criteria of having been poached since not all the egg was under the sauce.  But they're not fried either… So I just called mine Red Eggs.
First I created a homemade tomato/beef sauce to use to cook the eggs in.
This had the following ingredients;
Tin of crushed Italian tomatoes
A cup of Passata
Some fresh rosemary, finely chopped (don't use very much, it's powerful)
½ a red chilli, finely chopped
Some garlic infused olive oil
A couple of tsp of grated ginger
2 anchovy fillets – chopped
Chopped up leftover cooked steak 

I seasoned this with salt, pepper, a touch of maple syrup and lemon juice.

Red Eggs by Carole's Chatter


When you have simmered your sauce for 20 minutes or so and are happy with its flavour, just break the eggs into the pan gently.  When they are almost cooked (which will take about 20 minutes or so) then sprinkle a little parmesan on top and serve on toast.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like something to make for my husband for his low-carb diet! I'm not sure what passata is and have to look it up. (It's what we call "tomato puree".) I'll bookmark it to try in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I have never seen a recipe like this! Looks like a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet my husband would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen anything like this before! An unusual combination for sure, but I'll bet it tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound good! I never quite know what to do with eggs other than the very basic stuff. This looks worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way use up leftover meat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. common dish in Italian and Latin cultures (with the respective seasonings) called juevos rancheros in Spanish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. I've made a variety of versions of this in the past, but I'm loving the idea of the anchovies in here. I also love that you simply call them Red Eggs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious take on steak and eggs! Your sauce looks wonderful, Carole!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers