Monday 11 August 2014

Munch

 


If you're like me, the only thing you knew about the artist Edvard Munch is his painting The Scream.  And then I have to admit, I might only have known about that because the painting was stolen from an Art Gallery and subsequently returned.
 


Self Portrait 1882
So when I saw a book about Munch in the library I got it out to learn more.  And found an intriguing artist.  While The Scream is his famous work I find it a bit in your face.  So I thought I would tell you a bit more about the artist – now that I know – and show you some other works by him. 

Munch was born in 1863 and grew up in Christiana in Norway (now known as Oslo).  His life had more than its fair share of tragedy.  His mother died when he was about 4.  His sister died at 15.  He, himself, was frequently very ill indeed.  After starting to study to be an engineer, Munch announced that he was giving that up to become an artist.  His family and friends most definitely did not approve.
 


Morning 1884 – hated by the critics
He was the epitome of a typical poor struggling artist relying on the support of others to get by. And then there was the demon drink! 

Evening 1889
This work is of Munch's sister, Laura, who at this stage in her life was battling schizophrenia.
 

The Kiss 1892
The Scream resulted from a vision Munch experienced at sunset in the town of Ekeberg.  The artist's mental state was on the edge.
 

The Dance of Life 1899-90

 


The Sun 1911-12
Munch's life was a long but not very happy one.  Through it all – including when he was getting electric shock therapy – he kept on working.  He died during WWII in 1944.
Which of his works do you like?

 

1 comment:

  1. the scream has been a favorite of mine since i was 13 years old.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers