Tuesday 24 December 2013

Pork fillet in Jerk Seasoning

Pork fillet in Jerk Seasoning  by Carole's Chatter


This Pork fillet in Jerk Seasoning was served with a saffron risotto and a sprinkle of baby peas for colour.

I made my own Jerk Seasoning.  I'm not sure it is absolutely authentic but the meat did have a nice taste.

For the jerk seasoning I mixed up:

2 tblsp dried onion
2 ½ tsp dried thyme (would have doubled the amount if it was fresh thyme)
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp black pepper
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt

After rubbing the pork fillet with oil, I then rubbed the jerk seasoning all over it and let it sit for a while.

The fillet was then roasted until done in a moderate oven.  I used my meat thermometer to check when the pork was done.  I don't like under-cooking pork.

Saffron risotto by Carole's Chatter


For the saffron risotto, I heated up some chicken stock.

I then melted some butter in a pan and added 1/8th of a finely diced onion and a cup of Arborio rice (or other risotto rice).  When you have fried it off for about 5 minutes, add a good splosh of white wine or sherry and fry it on heat for a minute or 2.  Turn it down add saffron threads (a pinch) and then add the stock gradually, stirring pretty much continuously.  When you have a nice sloppy mixture, taste the rice to see if it is cooked.  Add seasoning, a little more butter if you dare and some grated parmesan cheese. 

The risotto was a pleasant rather than strong flavour which complemented the spiciness of the pork quite well.
Pin It

1 comment:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers