Wednesday 16 October 2013

Marian Keyes – Saved by Cake: A Delightful and Unusual Cookbook

Saved-by-Cake-Marian-Keyes-delightful-unusual-cookbook


I got Saved by Cake out of the library because it was written by Marian Keyes – an author I have liked for a long time.

It's an unusual book.  She includes a short introduction explaining how baking helped her battle depression – it is written in a wonderful way.  For instance she says right at the beginning 'Medically speaking, there is no such thing as a nervous breakdown.  Which is very annoying to discover when you're right in the middle of one."

But the bulk of the book is actually a cookbook – with over 80 recipes for cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes, cookies and more.  Every recipe is written with real Marian Keyes style.  For example, her recipe for an Orange and Cashew Cake starts with 'this is a fine, hefty cake, quite massive, and should feed several hundred people.'

I enjoyed this book even though I'm not really into baking.  I even marked 4 recipes to try myself:

        No bake ginger and lime cheesecake (p87)
Green Tea Panna Cotta (p104)
Profiteroles (p129)

Tamarind, Date & Sour Cherry Muffins (p192)

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I never knew she wrote a cookbook. I enjoy her books as well, so entertaining without being too fluffy. I am sure the cookbook was fun as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cookbooks.

    THANKS for sharing.

    I LOVE this monthly post. My TBR stack is toppling over...and I mean WAY OVER.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved November Edition. I am in the list as #28. My book entry is below.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers