Saturday 2 March 2013

Stockholm


Stockholm in Sweden


I have visited Stockholm only once as an adult.  I didn't have much time there but it was enough to know that I would like to go back.

As the capital city of Sweden, Stockholm is a lovely city built on 14 islands in an inlet off the Baltic sea.  Some people even call it the Venice of the North.

Things that are a must see include:

Royal Palace Stockholm Sweden

The Old Town (Gamla Stan) – it is made up of old buildings with narrow streets and the Royal Palace is there, too.

Sweden is a monarchy.  The current King and Queen do not live in the palace but they do some of their work there.  Every day at midday there is a changing of the guard ceremony.

An area just known as City is where you find the best shopping as well as nice parks and squares.

The Nobel Prizes are presented each year in Stockholm.  Alfred Nobel was Swedish.

Djurgarden, Stockholm, Sweden

One of the islands making up the city is called Djurgarden – it is effectively a park with a couple of museums.  The island was originally a Royal hunting ground.

Grand Hotel Stockholm

If I went again and had enough money, I would stay at the aptly named Grand Hotel.  It is a 5 star hotel.

Swedish pea soup and pancakes

Swedish food specialities include: Pickled herring, gravad lax (salmon cured in sugar and salt), Peas with pork (eaten every Thursday and followed by pancakes with jam). Cloud berries.

Of course the smorgasbord was a Swedish concept.  It always includes Swedish meatballs with lingonberry preserve.

But watch out – the price of alcoholic drinks is the highest I have encountered anywhere.

Dala Horse from Sweden

The most common Swedish souvenir is a Dala Horse.


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. What great pictures of Stockholm! I've never been there so it's nice to see real pictures. I did not realize it was on 14 islands. Interesting!
    BTW - Thanks so much for the feature!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Stockholm. My favourite place is "Gamla Stan" but I love the library, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Sweden and Stockholm a few times in my life. It is a great place. It helps to have relatives that live in the area.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers