Saturday 2 February 2013

Vienna




So where will you find the Spanish Riding School? Not in Spain, try Vienna in Austria! The Spanish Riding School is an amazing show featuring white Lipizzaner horses doing amazing tricks. I saw them practising once and it was quite engrossing.

Other things that are great about Vienna include:







Climbing up inside the tower of St Stephens Cathedral






Eating Sachertorte at the Sacher Hotel – overpriced but Vienna is rightly famous for its cakes




Going to a Viennese Waltz show – yes, it was touristy but good fun




Seeing the statues of Mozart, Strauss and Schubert




Going to the fancy restaurant in the Coburg Palace – fantastic foodie experience – but ruinously expensive




Seeing the Hundertwasser house (there is also an example of his work in Kawa Kawa in NZ)




The Schönbrunn Palace





There is a fun park in Vienna that most tourists go to, but I didn't. It is called the Prater and has a famous ferris wheel.

Other than the cakes, I didn't actually love Austrian food. Wiener Schnitzel takes its name from Vienna – but I found the versions I had too large and heavy.


2 comments:

  1. Oh I love Vienna, I think it's my favourite city. I particularly like the Naschmarkt, the wonderful food market I posted about in the summer http://onionsandpaper.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-naschmarkt-vienna.html?m=1 and thanks to a recommendation we found a lovely modern restaurant that did a lighter take on traditional Austrian dishes, where we had a Wiener Schnitzel that was neither huge nor heavy. It was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers