Sunday 24 February 2013

First crockpot attempt – for the record only


First crockpot attempt by Carole's Chatter


This post records my very first attempt at crockpot cooking – and it wasn't very good at all!  So don't copy what I did.  I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong – maybe some of you can set me straight.

Carole's Chatter First Crockpot

I put cross cut blade steak, some carrot,  a tin of tomatoes (garlic & onion flavour), and onion, plus some peri peri sauce (South African chili), Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper, some porcini powder and a small splosh of white wine.

Carole's Chatter first crockpot attempt

With about an hour to go I added garlic, potatoes and parsnip.

The meat was tender but the flavour was much too strong.  Does the crockpot intensify flavours like chilli?


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Yes it definitely intensifies the flavors! Try adding the strong tasting stuff at the end or just half. For the record it looks good! Just keep trying out different recipes and you will figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not always and it's something you will get used to. Certainly with curries and chillis, I would err on the side of putting less in as you can always add chilli sauce (for chillis) or garam masala (for curries) at the end of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how long did you cook? There are time limits - i find that whole pieces of meat in a crook pot may get dry unless there is a good amount of liquid.. I have NOT been using the crock pot lately, mostly because i have time to actually do stove slow cooking. I think a cornned beef work well - again with a lot of liquid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont worry the first few times I used mine I had disasters as well. Although my problem was not enough liquid so it dried up - maybe if you added some water as well it would be a bit more saucy and the flavours not so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Slow Cooker Carole; every Crock Pot/Slow Cooker's cooking time/heat seems to be different. I too add the potatoes at the end so they are not mushie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers