Saturday 23 February 2013

Cornwall Park


Cornwall Park Auckland


For this week's travel post, I thought I would tell you about Cornwall Park – which isn't too far from where I live.  Over the years we have had lovely walks and picnics there.

One Tree Hill Auckland

One Tree Hill is in the centre of Cornwall Park and the donor of the park to the City of Auckland is buried on its summit – Sir John Logan Campbell.  At the moment there isn't a tree on the summit.  Some years ago the pine tree that was there was removed because of ill health.  The City and local iwi are still to agree on what type of tree will replace it.  These things take time.

The park was named after the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall (who later became King George V and Queen Mary).  They visited New Zealand in 1901.

National Women's Hospital was situated on part of the park for many years post war.  In fact one of my sisters was born there.

Cornwall Park farm Auckland

Over 100 hectares of the park is still actively farmed – sheep and cattle.  Generations of city children have been able to see a working farm right slap bang in the middle of a big city. You often see Japanese tourists taking pictures of the sheep.

Acacia Cottage Cornwall Park Auckland

Acacia Cottage which is Auckland's oldest surviving building is also in the park.


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! On my travel wish list...hopefully some day my feet will grace NZ! Here's hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful! Hard for me to imagine living in such a pretty place. Texas is TEXAS but it isn't all that PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope my comment went through. I think I may have left the page too soon.
    Anyway - I love seeing where you live! Such a pretty place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating Carole. It's wonderful to see a farm in the middle of the city. It looks a really beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers