Saturday 5 January 2013

Paris, France – A City beyond Compare





When thinking about big cities in the world, it is hard to go past Paris as my favourite.  The way that the character of the old centre of the city has been preserved, plus the French flair, means that any visit to Paris is going to be a highlight.

My favourite parts include:

Hotel du Jeu de Paume, Ile St Louis

Hidden residential areas like the Ile St Louis (an island in the middle of the river) with small eccentric hotels


Tourist traps like the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Elysee – they might be so well known and visited but there is a reason for that


Sunbathers on the banks of the Seine


The Musee d'Orsay – which I have blogged about before here 


Shopping at Printemps and Galeries Lafayette – Gallic equivalents of Harvey Nicks and Harrods.


Going on the metro – so smooth and well-engineered



And I love the bicycle hire scheme (you'll note they don't require you to don a helmet) and all the tiny Smart cars parked in the teensiest spaces!

I have heard people complain that the French are rude to visitors.  I have only experienced this once – at the Opera Building ticket desk.  But if you try to speak a little French I have found nothing but kindness – including from a ticket seller on the Metro who firmly warned me to tuck my handbag under my arm since I was going to Pigalle (which is the stop for Montmartre – somewhat of a haven for pickpockets).


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. How on earth do they get out of the parking spot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Paris, one of my favourite towns in the world. Natasha, very simple, everyone leaves their handbrakes off and you can manoeuvre back and forth. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish to visit Paris someday ...thanks for the quick trip !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Paris. I spent a year living there and I try and go back at least once a year, miss it so much. So different to London (which I equally love for different reasons)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, thanks for your comment. Happy New Year!

      Delete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers