Saturday 1 September 2012

Warren Zevon - a song writer with a sad ending




Warren Zevon's best known compositions include Werewolves of London, Lawyers Guns and Money and Poor poor pitiful me.

He started out as a jingle composer – which might explain his somewhat dark and ironic outlook on life.  He roomed with Stevie Nicks.  He overcame drug and alcohol addictions.  He had an obsessive compulsive disorder.

His final album, The Wind, was recorded after he had been diagnosed with cancer.  When the cancer became publicly known he is reported to have said that he just hoped to live long enough to see the next James Bond movie, a goal he accomplished. Coincidentally, the film was titled Die Another Day.

My favourite Warren Zevon song is Keep Me in Your Heart For A While.

Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for a while

If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
Keep me in your heart for a while

When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun
Keep me in your heart for a while

There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done
Keep me in your heart for a while
...
Sometimes when you're doing simple things
around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile

You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on
your blouse
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Warren Zevon died in 2003 aged 56.



2 comments:

  1. wow, you keep taking me back with your retrospective music posts. My memory isn't what it used to be, but you keep bringing it back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are a fan, I'd recommend reading "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon" by Crystal Zevon. I quite enjoyed it, even though I'm not a fan and didn't know much about Zevon at all.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers