Sunday 26 August 2012

Cheat's Lasagne




With not much energy and/or time, I decided to do a Cheat's Lasagne.  So if you are a purist about lasagne look away right now!

This is all done in one big pan.  Brown your mince (ground beef) with chopped onion, garlic and ginger.  Add chopped celery and chilli.  Squirt in some tomato paste.  Add a packet flavour mix (I used one for Cottage Pie) but anything including a gravy mix would work.

Add Worcestershire sauce – it makes almost any savoury dish tasty.  Then salt and pepper of course.

When the meat and onions are browned/translucent, add a can of chopped tomatoes.  I just put water in this time because I had run out of canned tomatoes which is most unusual.  Throw in a handful of pasta – I had penne on hand but any kind works (except for the big lasagne sheets).  Simmer all this for 20 minutes – adding more liquid if it starts to dry out as the pasta absorbs the liquid.  Throw in a handful of frozen peas for the last 5 minutes.  Serve with a garnish of chopped parsley.

We had leftovers and the next day I added some curry powder and soy sauce which made it taste really nice.



7 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I love one pan dishes, I'll definitely have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like this but if I told my husband that it was lasagna he wouldn't eat it. He is very particular on what his lasagna looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, never would have thought of that myself. Next time I want lasagne and don't want to go through all the trouble, this is the dish for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm...i call this "Fred" and it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like one dish meals. for me, they are a comfort food. my mom still makes dishes like this. My kids would change it only with the addition of shredded cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shortcuts save my life during the week, so I have nothing against your 'cheat' - and actually quite a lot FOR it. Looks delicious, and I love that you included peas. I love peas in everything. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good! I think this would be just as tasty as lasagna. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers