Thursday 16 August 2012

Auckland Art Gallery - Now World Class


Auckland Art Gallery


The Auckland Art Gallery had a major re-vamp and the result is just stunning.  It has a great collection of contemporary New Zealand Art.  the picture above shows the older part of the gallery (which originally housed the Public Library)


 This is a view of the new entrance.


Auckland Art Gallery


There was some amazing kinetic sculpture I hadn't seen before including this Len Lye which writhed about and now and then hit the gong at the top emitting a weird noise:

Len Lye kinetic sculpture



Then there were a couple of old faves by Rita Angus and Colin McCahon:

Betty Curnow by Rita Angus

I and Thou - Colin McCahon



Finally there is a spectacular but completely kitsch floral chandelier in the mezzanine:


4 comments:

  1. I must say I favor the old section's architecture. Great shots of both! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed my visit did you enjoy yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your images here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful pieces! Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers