Sunday 22 July 2012

Rhubarb and banana jam – a delicious way to use up those bananas!



I had a couple of bananas which were blackening on the outside and also was aware that the next Food on Friday is about bananas and I didn't have a post to link in.  So I did a bit of fossicking around in my recipe collection  and found a recipe for rhubarb, strawberry and banana jam.  


Now strawberries aren't in season right now but we can get rhubarb.  So I did a jam with just rhubarb and bananas.  And it turned out to be easy to make and lovely to eat.


I only made a small quantity – enough for 2 ½ jars.  I will be making it again. 
In terms of ingredients, it is the relative proportions that is more important.  I did equal weights of rhubarb and sugar.  The bananas were just over half the quantity of rhubarb.  They have quite a strong flavour so you want the rhubarb to counterbalance that.


I chopped up the rhubarb and put it into a non-reactive bowl with the sugar.  The base recipe called for you to refrigerate this for about 8 hours or overnight.  But I wanted to use those bananas quickly so I improvised.  I put the rhubarb and sugar onto the bench in sunlight and left it for only 3 hours – and that worked just fine.


You then transfer it to a large saucepan and bring it to the boil while you add the bananas roughly  mashed with a fork with the juice of half a lemon mixed through the banana.  This not only stops it blackening but also helps the jam to set.  I put in a small amount of lemon zest, a few drops of vanilla extract and a small spoonful of brandy.


This jam was ready for putting into clean hot jars within 15 minutes.  I did have to scoop a small amount of scum off the top.  I also gave the jam a gentle mash with a potato masher to  break down the rhubarb pieces.


I used a jam funnel to put the jam into the jars.


For another post about jam/jelly, click here 

13 comments:

  1. I am following you back!! I am unable to make/eat jam at this time, but the recipe sounded really yummy. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh,never had that!It sounds delicious!thank you for your visit!I am your newest follower!:)Follow back if you like,it woul mke my day!:)) have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, thank you for stopping by my post and your thoughtful comment.

    I've never made jam in my life, but I love to cook. Only sorry to say I do not like rhubarb. My mother forced me to eat it when I was young, it was slimy and as an adult I won't touch it, but I'm sure it's delicious. I'll have to scroll thru your other recipes to see if there's a different jam more to my taste.

    Also thank you for the word verification stuff. Not a techie so I had no clue why others were having problems. Went in and opened settings to include "everyone." Thank you for solving this mystery. Please stop by again, wish I could invite you for coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delish ~ thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe ~ ^_^ (A Creative Harbor) ~ always good to have you stop by also ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting combination of flavors. I think I would like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm!!! Sounds really yummy!! I've never tasted or seen a rhubarb before! We don't have them over here on our side of the pond!

    Nice meeting you!
    Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this looks great, I've never attempted any kind of jam with bananas as I thought they might blacken? I guess the lemon works its magic there. Lovely recipe, I always have blackened bananas to deal with in the fruit bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great,would love to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great. Must have a nice sweet tart flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both bananas and rhubarb. I fell in love withit as a child in my gramma's yard in Canada. She would give us a bowl of brown sugar and slice a stalk from the garden. Although it is hard to find here in the desert, I will now be on the search. I will be following starting today. Dawna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo, what a great idea! I don't use rhubarb too often, I'll have to try this. Thanks for linking up at Sweet Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing this on Manic Monday!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers