Friday 20 July 2012

Coronation chicken


Coronation Chicken
It being the Queen's diamond jubilee this year, I decided to make Coronation Chicken. This was a dish especially created for the Queen's coronation 60 years ago. It is thought that the dish was also inspired by Jubilee chicken – a dish that was done for the Silver Jubilee of George the 5th.

Of course, I took a number of liberties with the ingredients. But it turned out quite well – although I think it would normally be a deeper yellow colour. I should have added a bit of turmeric to it.

My ingredients for Coronation Chicken:

Diced cooked chicken (leftover roast chicken in my case, although you could specially poach some breast for it

A small onion, finely diced

Curry paste or powder to taste (not Thai curry – Indian)

A little squirt of tomato puree

A tablespoon full of red wine – I used pinot noir

A small amount of chicken stock – be careful to add this toward the end so that the sauce doesn't get too liquidy.  (And watch out for the salt content in stock and adjust the addition of extra salt, if any, to allow for it)

1 bay leaf (fish it out before serving)

Salt and pepper – I think white pepper is best for this

Juice of up to ½ a lemon

Mayonnaise – as much or as little as you want – I didn't want too sloppy a sauce

2 to 3 spoonfuls of apricot jam or rehydrated chopped dried apricots

Spoonful of whipped cream, or in my case crème fraiche (not whipped)

A couple of spoonfuls of toasted almonds – if you are toasting them yourself, like I did, watch them like a hawk - I burnt the first lot.

½ teaspoon of hot chilli jam (definitely not authentic but a great ingredient to give things a bit of a kick)

Mix all this together and let it sit covered in the fridge for a few hours for the flavours to meld.  You could eat it straight away but it will improve if you give it a bit of sitting time. 

Serve as a lunch dish or you can even put it into sandwiches.

For another recipe, click here

20 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! New follower - hope to get a follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good. Lot of delicious flavors in there! I love the addition of the chili jam, nice with the sweetness of the apricot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy.
    Thanks for commenting on Musings of an Imperfect Mom
    Following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds full of flavors, excellent recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of that dish but had no idea what was in it..interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of Coronation Chicken but never knew how it was made. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be good as a sandwich filling, nice round of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Jamie Oliver version of this to try one day, but I think yours sounds a bit simpler, which I am all in favour of!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of coronation chicken. It sounds like a great summer dish. Love the hint of curry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds lovely. Perfect for a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It makes me laugh a little that curried chicken is now 'the' food of England. Ah well - it is what it is. I do love a curried chicken salad, so that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the warning, but I decided to visit anyway :-) I wasn't always a vegetarian and I was quite curious about your "coronation" chicken! How wonderful, that this dish was actually created in honour of her wedding! And how interesting that it has a bit of Indian influence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good. I like the history!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds very interesting! I've never heard of it. Love that it's for the Queen's Jubilee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like it could be really good. And like I said on the blog I was visiting before yours I am always looking for good chicken recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quite different! Sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This does sound delicious, thanks for linking it up!
    http://www.joyfulhomemaking.com/2012/12/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-8.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers