Sunday 29 July 2012

Carole's Chilli


Carole's Chilli part cooked


This is the way I did chilli.  A made up dish so no doubt many of you great cooks out there will have suggestions as to how it could be improved.  And they are all most welcome.  Isn't that one of the great things about cooking – there are always new things to learn and try out!

So I prepared a bunch of stuff – I like to do all the prep I can first before starting cooking.  I usually store the prepared ingredients in little plastic food containers:

Onion roughly chopped
2 dried red chillies, soaked in hot water for a while and then chopped
Small piece of pumpkin, peeled and cubed
Garlic – lots chopped
Zucchini – chopped
Capsicum (bell pepper) chopped
Tin of red kidney beans drained and rinsed

Then I also used:

Packet of taco spice mix
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Tomato paste
Tomato sauce
Maple syrup
Small amount of water

I browned the ground beef (mince) and added the onion, fried it up for say 5 minutes then added everything else and let it simmer for say 5 to 10 minutes.

I then transferred it to the oven (at moderate heat only) and let it slowly cook for about 45 minutes.  This lets the flavours meld together.  Before serving taste it to see if it needs salt (possibly not because of the taco mix) and any more heat – in which case add chilli powder or cayenne pepper.

Chilli served with rice

Carole's Chilli got the thumbs up from the better half so all was well.



8 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious -- I love the idea of pumpkin in chili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around my part of Texas, we spell it "c-h-i-l-i." Interesting. Like your version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the look of the first photo -before you added the mince. Delicious! But my husband would like the meat added:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chilli your recipe sounds great :) thanks for linking up to Creative mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So colorful with the veggies. I've pinned this. Thanks for linking up to my Pin Me Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for the temps to cool down so I can make chili. Thanks for sharing your recipe with Foodie Friends Friday.

    Hope to see you again soon,
    Joanne/WineLady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day and YUM! true!
    Perfect for today's winter weather while it is spring too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of Food Friends Friday Chili Party

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers