Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Thorn Birds




I thought I would post about some well-known older books that you may not have read for a long time.  The Thorn Birds is by Australian author Colleen McCullogh.  This was her first international best seller in 1977.  It sold over 10 million copies worldwide – quite something for the time.  It was subsequently made into a mini-series in 1983 with Richard Chamberlain in one of the lead roles– of course that wasn't as good as the book in my opinion.  With the exception of Harry Potter, the visual representation of books seems to always disappoint.

It is a magnificent saga set in Australia's sprawling outback.  The story is epic and intense.  I do recommend a re-visit to it if you would like a cracking read.




1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this book and the mini-series. I definitely need to revisit the book.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers