Saturday 19 May 2012

A Simple Chicken Casserole




I didn't have much energy for cooking dinner so I just whipped up a low effort chicken casserole.  I put everything into my casserole dish, didn't bother browning the meat or anything.  And cooked it away in the oven for just over an hour on a moderate heat.

Here is what I put in – but you can put in any sorts of vegetables you have to hand:

4 chicken thighs (cut into about 6 slices per thigh)
Half a leek – sliced
1 Parsnip – chopped into big pieces
1 onion – sliced
A bit of leftover homemade pumpkin soup
A packet soup – onion – I put this in for its thickening effect mainly
Water (if you didn't have the leftover soup you could use chicken or vegetable stock)
Tomato paste – about a tablespoon
Worcestershire sauce – a good splosh
Lots of pepper
A bit of salt – be careful not to add too much if you are using stock or a soup which already has salt in it.

Lastly, when your rice is on, put some frozen peas into the casserole to add nice colour to the dish.

The end result was very tasty for such an easy dish.


Shared with Delicious Dish Tuesday and Beth Fish Read's Weekend Cooking

11 comments:

  1. This sounds good and economical as well. The last few times I have made chicken and rice - well.....it didn't turn out so well. Did you cook the rice separately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... sounds delicious. The ease of it is really attractive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding a creative way to use up the bits and pieces in my refrigerator -- this sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you sometimes make up your own recipes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be able to just whip up something out of leftovers like this. Not one of my skills I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could be more creative in the kitchen... seems like I need a recipe for everything. This sounds like a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! There are a lot of items that you used that I never would have thought to use. Thanks for sharing with Delicious Dish Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks great! So, where do I get the pumpkin soup recipe? :)
    Thanks so much for linking up to Delicious Dish Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good. I like rice but I'd love it with mashed potatoes with the chicken and sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds quick and not complicated. Sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like the perfect weeknight meal. I need to learn how to make casseroles. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers