Thursday 31 May 2012

Palindromes – why isn’t the word a palindrome itself?




Just for fun I thought I would do a quick post about palindromes.  What the heck are they, I hear you thinking.  As you can see from the image, they are words that are spelled the same frontwards or backwards.  According to my dictionary the word “palindrome” comes from Greek.  I think it would have been great to find a word for it that was itself a palindrome.  Rotator for anyone?

Some palindromes are well known like:

Civic
Kayak
Minim
Radar
Level
Pop
Refer
Madam
Deed
Noon
Mom
Dad

And some a little more exotic like:

Racecar
Reviver
Rotator
Nurses run
Tenet
Desserts, I stressed
Sagas

Please feel free to supply the many palindromes I have missed!

2 comments:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers