Monday 21 May 2012

Kindle and iPad compared





Now that I have got an iPad as well as a Kindle I thought I would do a bit of a comparison of them.  I am not referring to the Kindle Fire but to the standard black and white Kindle.

For reading ebooks, I think the Kindle is far superior – but this is a matter of taste.  It is the e-ink that is used that makes the difference.  It means there is no backlighting so it is much easier on the eyes.  It feels like reading a paper book.  It does mean you can’t read your Kindle in the dark – but then you can’t read a paper book in the dark either – unless it is in Braille.  And you can read the Kindle in the brightest sunlight.

But if you don’t want to have both a Kindle and an iPad – I would go for the iPad.  It not only enables you to read books, but also to connect to the internet (via wireless and/or 3G), play games, download all sorts of fun apps etc.  No question there are some things it can’t do as well as a pc – editing or posting in Blogger for instance.  I have found that comments and replying to them work fine but I can’t deal with posts on it.  I have done a bit of digging and haven’t been able to find any app that will make this as good as doing it on my laptop.  Has anyone else found one?

The other issue with the iPad is that you can’t just plug it into your pc and transfer files etc to it.  You have to set up your own wireless network.  You also can’t download camera cards directly to it – which would be a pain if you were travelling.  It doesn’t have any USB ports.  And the camera function is very clunky.  It does have much better battery life than my old netbook did (which was truly useless).

But it is a beautiful bit of kit for all that.  I can see why so many people have fallen for the iPad hook, line and sinker.

I am glad I have both.  The e-ink Kindle is now so cheap and small and light that I don’t find it a chore to carry it around.  The basic Kindle is now about $79US – this is not the touch screen one.  But since you only need to be able to scroll through and index and page forward and back, resorting to buttons rather than poking the screen doesn’t seem too bad.  One tip – don’t leave the wi-fi turned on all the time (unless you are constantly accessing books on the net) – you will get much better battery life.  In fact I only charge up my Kindle once a week.

Whichever you go with don’t forget to get a cover for it.  The screens are reasonably fragile – I squished the first Kindle I got just by putting it into a briefcase.  The snazzy magnetic covers from Apple for the iPad are great looking – but not perfectly secure since they can be knocked out of place.

For an earlier post about a Kindle, click here

4 comments:

  1. I personally do not think you can compare them, two very different gadgets and I love them both. The Kindle is designed for reading and does it better than using the app on the ipad as it is different back lighting. As for the ipad i do not have the camera version as it would not meet my needs as a keen photographer, however I do have the little gadget that plugs in meaning I can quickly upload my photos. The ipad and the kindle are a great boon when we are travelling.
    there is a great app available for blogging which I purchased during my recent computer problems, it is called Blogsy give it a try, it is very easy to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment. I am going to look into Blogsy.

      Delete
  2. Carole, my plain vanilla Kindle has been completely satisfactory. Not having a touch screen is not an issue, since I order books at the Amazon site from my computer, and then they transfer to my Kindle wirelessly. Easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. And I like to have control of the electronic version of the book by having it on my pc. I use Calibre to organise my ebook library.

      Delete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers