Monday 14 May 2012

The Foodstore restaurant- much better than I expected



I went to a business dinner at one of the restaurants in the Viaduct Basin area of Auckland.  I had heard of it before but haven’t been there. 

It is a restaurant which is associated with a Food TV programme of the same name, so I was prepared to be disappointed for much the same reason that restaurants in tourist destinations can often disappoint.

The first surprise was the setting.  A generously sized relaxed bar area with lots of nooks and crannies with comfortable chairs.  We had a nice little drink while waiting for everyone to arrive.  They had a good range of wines by the glass. The barman though spoke English so badly that when one of our party asked for a robust red he first offered up a white wine and then a pinot noir!

One of the other waiters was very good though, when we were debating what the name of the doctor was on Star Trek, he went off and checked it out for us!  Which reminds me, the music was really good for business people – sort of classic pop done well.  No rap or techno thank goodness.

The restaurant itself is a large room with the kitchen out in amongst the tables.  So you see everything that is going on both directly and via screens placed around at roof level.  The level of organisation was quite impressive and there was absolutely no smoke or smells which was amazing given all the sizzle going on.



I had a ceviche starter – actually island style lime cured fish with coconut and tropical fruit – lovely and light.

Then I had fish – John Dory pan-fried with a side of Triple Cream Mash – now that was truly decadent.

I didn’t do dessert but was very impressed when one of our party asked for some fresh fruit – which was not on the menu.  Out came a beautifully presented ice-cream sundae style bowl of a great range of fruit – I suspect there was also a little liqueur of some sort involved.

I would be very happy to have a chance to go back there.


For another post about a restaurant in Auckland, click here



2 comments:

  1. You seem to dine out a fair bit - jealous much! I love fish and the main sounded divine. Ps have removed the word verification off blog -impressed?! x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers