Thursday 10 May 2012

AA Milne - Halfway Down the Stairs




My favourite short AA Milne poem is probably this one:

Halfway down the stairs Is a stair where I sit
There isn't any other stair quite like it.
I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top
So this is the stair where I always stop.

Halfway up the stairs Isn't up, and isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery, it isn't in the town
And all sorts of funny thoughts Run round my head
"It isn't really anywhere! It's somewhere else instead!"


If you have never heard of AA Milne, do yourself a favour and get one or both of his little books – When We Were Very Young and Now We are Six.  They may have been written for children but they are simply fantastic.  
Probably my favourite poem is James James (or Disobedience) (but it is too long to set out here). Here is a link to a site with it – unfortunately without the original illustrations.

AA Milne also wrote Winnie the Pooh – which is another classic.

For another post about a poem, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers