Tuesday 29 November 2011

Rita Angus – An Artist’s Life by Jill Trevelyan


If you are looking for a nice Xmas gift for someone who likes art – this book might be just the thing.  It is a beautiful book which was published by Te Papa in 2008 which was also the centenary of her birth.  It is a good biography rather than just an art wonk’s read.  It also gives you a good insight into Rita’s art.  In particular I gained a real appreciation for her portraits for the first time.  They had previously seemed rather grim to me.  I have always admired her landscapes.  The book won the non-fiction section of the Montana Awards in 2009.



1 comment:

  1. I'd never heard of this artist or this book, but that cover picture is fabulous! I must investigate...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers