Tuesday 15 April 2014

Duck a La Tangelo


Duck a La Tangelo by Carole's Chatter
 
The great, but somewhat retro dish, Duck a L'Orange was the inspiration for this Duck dish made not with oranges but with tangelos.  Tangelos are a delicious cross between a tangerine and orange.
The first thing to do is to cross hatch the skin of the duck.  You'll need a good sharp knife to do this.  They can be tricky little blighters to handle.  Rub some salt onto the skin.

Sear your duck in a very hot high sided pan – high sided so that you don't get splattered with hot duck fat.

When you think the duck is seared enough – and I'm not sure mine was – I chicken out and start to worry about burning it – remove it from the pan and put it in a roasting dish and pop it into a moderate oven, covered in foil for about 45 minutes.
Then you make your sauce in the pan you seared the duck.  First tip out most of the fat that will be sitting on the top – don't throw it out – save it in a jar to make duck fat potatoes with.  Then deglaze the pan with lemon juice.  Then I added all of the following:

Redcurrant jelly
Tangelo juice
Ground white  pepper
Limoncello – a good splosh
½ cup of home-made chicken stock 

Boil it away until it has reduced in quantity by about 1/3 to a 1/2 .  Finish the sauce off by whisking in a tablespoonful or two of cream. 

Serve your duck with the tangelo sauce poured over it.  I served it with corn on the cob and a small salad.

4 comments:

  1. You make it sound so easy! My husband loves duck and I cook it occasionally at home. You did a beautiful job plating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son loves duck. My dad is a hunter and often sends us home with duck when we visit. I'll have to try this next time we have one. I think I'd like the sweetness to help balance the duck flavor. Thank you for linking, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely make duck because I find it too fatty for my tastes, but I like your tangelo update on the classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had duck l'orange - I think perhaps I missed that era of cooking. I do like citrus flavors with poultry and seafood, though - and your plate looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers