Wednesday 22 January 2020

I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott




I wish I could remember who recommended this delightful book to me.  I would thank them specially.

This is a non-fiction work.  The author is not only perceptive but also very frequently hilarious.  It isn't an autobiography but more a series of essays about topics such as parent's anxiety about the safety of their children – often illogical but very real.

She also deals with a period in her life when she was depressed.

It was interesting how she analysed the effect of having been brought up very goal driven.  Wanting to get everything right.  Wanting to do things without wasting time.

I have taken years to get over a similar mind set.  Looking at the state of my home, I think I have over-succeeded!

If you would like a friend to talk to you and tell you funny yarns about family and modern day life, give this a go.

2 comments:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers