Sunday 7 July 2019

Prawns wrapped in Bacon with chilli butter


Carole's Chatter: Prawns wrapped in Bacon with chilli butter


I caught this on Food Network being done by Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman.  I decided to try it out to see if it would make a good platter to take to a neighbourhood knees up.  Small number of ingredients but big on visual appeal and flavour

Ingredients:

Frozen large cooked prawns (tail on)
Thin bacon (streaky)
Butter
Chilli powder
Spring onion (scallion)

Method:

Ree used raw prawns – I couldn't find any I liked the look of, so went for the frozen ones.  I left the tails on but will remove them for the party.

Thaw and pat dry your prawns.

Wrap each prawn with a third of a rasher of bacon and secure with a toothpick or little skewer.  I tried both and think I'll use toothpicks for the party (but will soak them in water first). Put your prawns onto a rack in an oven dish.

Melt a lot of butter – say 4 tablespoons for 12 prawns and then put in a tablespoon of chilli powder.

Brush half of the chilli butter over the bacon before putting the prawns into a hot fan oven.  They took about 15 minutes to brown nicely.

Brush the other half of the chilli butter over the prawns just before serving.  I suggest you do this in the oven dish rather than on the serving plate.  You don't want chilli butter dripping everywhere!

Shake and transfer to your serving plate and scatter spring onions over the top.  You could use any green herb – it's just for garnish.

I was worried these might be too spicy but in fact they were just right.

1 comment:

  1. This does sound great for a neighborhood gathering. Good news that they're not too spicy. I think these would be good all year round.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers