Wednesday 20 June 2018

Every Note Played by Lisa Genova




I wasn't sure I would enjoy Every Note Played.  And after the first 10 or so pages I almost gave up – not sure why.

But I am so glad that I didn't.  The book quickly drew me in after that and certainly made me think.  I have to confess to being a sniffling sad sack at the end – but only right at the end.

So, I won't be spoiling this for you if I tell you that one of the main characters has ALS – that's the horrible disease that gradually paralyses you – there is no cure.

But this writer didn't make it all sentimental and gooey.  Both main characters were flawed and quite easy at times to dislike.  I like the realism because bad things don't just happen to perfect people!

The author is a neuroscientist and knows a lot about this disease – I so admire her for not letting it get at all technical.

Be careful what mood you are in when you tackle this book.

2 comments:

  1. My father had ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) for 3 years His first symptoms were weakness in his hands and losing his balance which led to stumbling and falling. He never lost the ability to swallow or breathe. His one hand, then his legs, were affected first; then his arms. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help him. The medical team did even less. His decline was rapid and devastating. The psychological support from the medical centre was non-existent and if it were not for the sensitive care and attention of his primary physician, he would have died . There has been little if any progress in finding a cure or reliable treatment. So this year his primary physician suggested we started him on Natural Herbal Gardens ALS Herbal mixture which eased his anxiety a bit,We ordered their ALS herbal treatment after reading alot of positive reviews, i am happy to report this ALS herbal treatment reversed my dad condition. His quality of life has greatly improved and every one of his symptoms including difficulty in walking and slurred speech are gone. Their official web site is ww w. naturalherbalgardens. c om He will be 74 soon and can now go about his daily activities

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine that this was an intense read. I can't even imagine the suffering of those afflicted with that terrible disease.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers