Wednesday 6 June 2018

Books You Loved: June Edition



Books You Loved: May continued to provide news of great books, old and new.  Here are some that caught my eye:

Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion & Anne Buist was reviewed by Writer Girl Reads.  Melissa said 'Two Steps Forward is the story of two characters who embark on the Camino de Santiago.  Both have gone through rough life-changing moments, and the Camino is a soul-searching journey.  Like the Camino that the characters are walking, Two Steps Forward a slower paced book, full of lots of moments of wisdom and speculation.  I loved the dual narration especially because it flips between Martin (who I assume was written by Graeme) and Zoe (who I assume was written by Anne). '

The review of The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson said 'I couldn't get enough of this novel and got annoyed when people interrupted me while I was reading it. It is perfect for fans of The Life Intended and/or What Alice Forgot. It kept me guessing the entire time and I was surprised with where it went!'

Tracey of Carpe Librum reviewed The Reader on the 6.27.   She said 'What a funny little book! The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent is translated from French and is a short book that packs a punch. Our main character Guylain Vignolles works in a book pulping factory despite loving books. He retrieves a few pages from the machine every day and reads them aloud to commuters each morning on the 6.27am train'

Dorothy of The Nature of Things reviewed Solar by Ian McEwan.  She said 'Ian McEwan is an extraordinarily talented writer and I can't begin to adequately critique the way he has worked his magic here.'

I Was Anastasia by Ariel Lowhon was brought over by Captivated Reader.  The review said 'I was captivated from start to finish with I Am Anastasia by Ariel Lawhon. I found myself looking forward as to where this novel would lead me with regards to the Anna Anderson/Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia story. I was not disappointed with the way in which this novel unfolded.'

Now on to the June collection.  Remember the posts you link in don't have to be recent and the book concerned doesn't have to have been recently published or read.  The only requirement is that it is about a book that you loved.

To add to the list just pop the name of the book (and your name/blog name if you like) into the first Mr Linky box and then copy and paste the url of your post about it into the second box.

I'll be pinning your links to this Pinboard to make it easier for you to check them out at a glance.  As a bonus the books reviewed last June are also on that board.


16 comments:

  1. Left some reviews. Thanks for the shout-out for my review of The Bookseller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your synopsis of the previous month! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. over 50 books read last month, started out strong for this month also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you read 50 books in a month? That's so impressive!

      Delete
  4. I had seen Anastasia on Broadway in New York and loved it, but I couldn’t get into the book. Sadly, I didn’t continue reading or finish the book.

    Thanks for sharing last month’s picks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy June! I see your other contributors have already listed several books that I've really liked. I gave you two more, both of which I read in May. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy this series, she's a fun character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm linking two 5 star reviews this month, and they're both about books! One is an historical fiction novel about the creation of an illuminated manuscript and the other is a collection of letters to books penned by a witty and funny librarian. Both highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just entered a couple books. I keep trying to get both my blog name and the title in my link. I will get it right one of these times-:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for featuring one of my reviews in your post this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This month, I have linked in Queen of Hearts, Volume 3 by Colleen Oakes, a twisted re-imagining of Wonderland, and exotic historical fiction Peach Blossom Pavilion by Mingmei Yip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the shout out above Carole. I've just popped back over to add a book about giftwrapping to your June books you love edition. Anyone else a stationery lover?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My choice this month goes to "My Tree Grows in Brooklyn". After it had been on my wishlist for several years, I finally got around to reading it. And wasn't disappointed. A wonderful book.

    Thanks again for giving us this opportunity to share our best reads. I always find another nice new blog that way.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers