Sunday 26 November 2017

Fried Egg Experiment – Mostly Successful



Carole's Chatter: Fried Egg Experiment – Mostly Successful


The end result of this fried egg experiment was pretty and tasty so I thought I would show it to you even though it wasn't totally successful.

Somewhere I saw someone frying an egg in the middle of a large ring of raw onion and the result was a perfectly round egg with a hint of onion flavour.

I didn't have any onions big enough so I decided to use a capsicum (bell pepper) instead.

Ingredients:

Eggs
Olive oil/butter
Capsicum
Speck
Lemon basil
Pepper
Ham thinly sliced
Chilli for garnish

Method:

Slice the capsicum round ways – about a ¼ inch thick or so.

Heat a pan and add a little oil/butter mix.  Pop in the capsicum rounds.  Crack an egg into each.

Now this is where it didn't work as planned – the egg whites leaked out the sides a bit.  Next time I'd put the capsicum straight onto the pan with no oil and let it adhere to the pan a bit before adding the egg.

Fry off your speck (a sort of smoked ham) cut up very finely until it's crispy.

When the eggs are done to your liking, serve them on a slice of ham with the speck sprinkled on top along with some chilli and green herbs (in this case lemon basil) and cracked pepper.

It was pretty and good to eat – so almost a success.

3 comments:

  1. Fun experiment. I've seen toad in the hole -- egg fried in the middle of a piece of bread, but the onion idea is new to me. I'd prefer using a pepper as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great experiment! My mom called the fried bread with an egg in the middle eggs in a basket, but it's the same as Jama described. I like the idea of an onion or pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever. I always enjoy your egg experiments.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers