Sunday 31 May 2015

Welsh Mushrooms Reprised

Carole's Chatter: Welsh Mushrooms


OK, these mushrooms do not come from Wales.  I called them Welsh Mushrooms because they are like Welsh Rarebit but on a mushroom base rather than on bread.

Pre-heat your oven or grill.

Put 50ml of cream (or milk), 125g of grated cheese (I used tasty), 15g of plain flour, 1 teaspoon of mustard powder, a few drops of hot chilli sauce and salt and pepper into a small pot and heat gently while stirring until the cheese has melted.  Set aside to cool.

Take your mushrooms – mine were enormous ones as you can see.  Take out the stalk and peel them – I think you could probably skip the peeling if you wanted.  Melt some butter and oil in a pan and cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes or so until they start to soften just a bit.

Put them into something you can use in the oven.  Then add 1 egg yolk to the cheese mixture (this is why you need to cool it down a bit so that you can stir the egg through without it going funny).

Carole's Chatter: Welsh Mushrooms


Pour your cheese mixture into the mushrooms and cook in the oven until the top is golden brown.  Mushrooms are quite sturdy so you'll find the bottom still a bit meaty while the top is all molten.

Let it sit for 5 minutes or so, so you don't burn your tongue, like I did!

8 comments:

  1. This look delicious - will definitely try. I grew up with Welsh 'rabbit' being a favorite Sunday lunch. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are big mushrooms! Love the idea of cheesing them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that, comparing them to Welsh Rarebit. Tasty morsels these, I could make a lunch out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My antique, and favorite, Betty Crocker has Welsh Rarebit, and I've never tried it though I've been tempted. All that cheesy yumminess has me rethinking the idea; although I would prefer it on bread. Mushrooms aren't my thing, though yours look delicious. Thanks for visiting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look yummy, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What giant mushrooms! The recipe sounds good and it looks even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting idea :)

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge mushrooms! But your Welsh rarebit idea looks yummy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers