Sunday 12 October 2014

Pea & Bacon Soup – Slow Cooker

Pea & Bacon Soup – Slow Cooker by Carole's Chatter


One of the things I like about slow cooking is that you mostly just throw a bunch of things into it and then forget it for hours!  That certainly applied to this Pea & Bacon Soup. 

The things I threw in the slow cooker were:

A bacon hock
A knob of fresh ginger
Fresh herbs (tied up into a bundle with string)
Splash of sherry
A few drops of sherry vinegar
Split peas – a handful
Ground pepper and coriander seeds
Lots of water/vegetable stock – you need to cover your bacon hock

After a low and slow cook overnight, I took out the bacon hock – which was falling apart and threw out the skin and bones and then shredded the meat and added it back to the soup.

Then add frozen peas and cook for a further 30 minutes.  Check to see whether the soup need salt right at the end.

The garnish for the soup was a dob of yoghurt and some chopped parsley.

This makes a lot of soup so I always pop some of it in the freezer for an easy lunch option – when reheating it, you can add some cream, crème fraiche, milk or even yoghurt to change the soup up a bit.  Be a bit careful if you choose yoghurt because it does have a tendency to split.

9 comments:

  1. Yum!!! My husband loves split pea soup but I've never tried it in the slow cooker before. We usually take an immersion blender to it so it's a bit thicker but I like the idea of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge split pea soup fan! It is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just copied this recipe. While you are getting Spring weather we are heading into Fall temps. Perfect as it is in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love slow cooker recipes and love pea soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious!! Perfect for the upcoming winter season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love split pea soup and making it in the slow cooker is the right way to go. I love the ginger and ham in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks good. I love that it's both easy to make and provides yummy leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a simple soup, but sounds like it would be so perfect to warm up to. I am always happy when I see pea's in a soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good looking soup, Carole! I'm not confident enough in my slow cooker use to just throw things in and go. Think I'll just use your recipe instead!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers