Wednesday 14 May 2014

The English German Girl by Jake Wallis Simons

  


The English German Girl deals with tough WWII stuff but never descends into graphic violence or sex.  It is a story about a young German girl who ends up being evacuated to England  - how she ended up being evacuated and what happened to her afterwards.
It's a debut novel by Simons and is all the more impressive for that.  The delicacy with which the book is written is fabulous.
Although this is a fictional story, it is based on real events which had huge impacts on the lives of Jewish families.
I am so glad I read this book and hope you will find it as engrossing and ultimately uplifting as I did.

4 comments:

  1. The book sounds intriguing! I once read that a good author controls the imagination of the reader. You don't HAVE to have graphic sex and violence for it to be a good book! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading WWII era books for quite a while now. This was such a difficult period and the changes that took place were so radical, especially for women that I enjoy reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this book. It's one of the best WWII novels I've read so far, so I'm glad to see you thought it was well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting time period and topic. This is a book I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers