Tuesday 11 December 2012

Spicy Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms




I like mushrooms but the better half is pretty lukewarm on them.  So I keep looking for ways to do them that he might like.  So here are my Spicy Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.  They were a little fiddly to do but the results were worth it – I think!

I prepared the mushrooms by brushing off any dirt on the outside.  Luckily the ones you buy these days don't seem to carry much dirt.  I didn't know for ages that washing mushrooms was a no no.

Then I cut off the stalks and cut off the dark brown gills on the inside  - don't throw it away though.  Chop up the stalks and put them into a pot with some butter, a finely chopped garlic clove, a little bit of chopped onion, 2 chopped brazil nuts (any nut would do) and a little chopped parsley.  Gently sautee that up until it is nice and mushy.

While this is cooking, I put a tiny smear of hot chilli jam onto the mushrooms.  Then fill your mushrooms up with your stalky mix, top with grated cheese, breadcrumbs, and finally, a knob of butter and cook in the oven til the top is golden brown.  As you can see from the picture I went a little past golden.  It tasted good but I should have taken them out about 5-10 minutes earlier.


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. That sounds tasty. I do a mushroom fried rice which is a hit with the husband and my son, although my 2 year old son is an enthusiastic mushroom eater. Favourite thing to eat (after prawns and mussels obviously?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy. Try a couple of versions on your other half. http://pattyandersonsblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/italian-portobello-mushroom-caps.html
    or
    http://pattyandersonsblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/portobello-pizzas.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YUMMMMMMMM!!! Thanks so much for sharing! I haven't made stuffed mushrooms in awhile. I think they will go on Friday's grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love stuffed mushrooms. I love the idea of using the hot chili jam! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! Love mushrooms. Thanks, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those look fabulous!! I think MY hubby would even eat them!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers