Sunday 25 November 2012

Edmonds Cookery book




If there is one cookbook that almost every household in New Zealand has – it is the Edmonds Cookery Book.  It was first issued in 1908 and has had over 50 reprints and new editions since then.  It is a piece of iconic Kiwiana – which also happens to give reliable recipes for most basic foods that a New Zealand cook might want to make for the family.

It has sold over 3 million copies – now given that New Zealand only has just over 4 million people – you can see just how popular it is.

It doesn't have fancy pictures.  Just simple, straightforward recipes like this one for Banana Cake.

BANANA CAKE
125 g (4 ozs) butter175 g (6 ozs) sugar2 eggs2 mashed bananas (or 3 if bananas are small)1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda2 tablespoons boiling milk1 teaspoon baking powder225 g (8 ozs flour)
 METHOD
Grease a medium cake tin Cream butter and sugar.Add eggs, mashed bananas, then bicarb of soda dissolved in boiling milk.Lastly add flour and baking powder, previously sifted.Spoon into cake pan and smooth top.Bake in a preheated 180C (350F) oven. Cake will take about 30 - 40 minutes depending on size of pan and how efficient your oven is.
Remove cake from pan and cool on wire rack.Ice with 1 1/2 cups icing sugar blended with a tablespoon of softened butter and a little milk added to make a spreading consistency


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Newest follower from the blog hop, would love it if you could come by and follow back?
    Erica
    www.ericastartwalking.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I OWN THIS COOKBOOK! I bought it when I was in New Zealand in 1998. I've never cooked anything from it ... I think I must change that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a wonderful book - but I googled it, and it seems quite expensive. I must find someone going to NZ and ask them to bring one back for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you for your very kind offer on my blog! blessings xx

      Delete
  4. its nice to know about a cookbook first issued in 1908 & still re-print...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers