Saturday 17 November 2012

Cezanne – another great and troubled artist




Sister Wendy says that Cezanne (1839 – 1906) is certainly as great an artist as any that ever lived.  His early work wasn't popular and he struggled as an artist for a long time.  Not financially because he came from a well-off French family.


The most famous of his works come from his mature works.  I particularly like some of his still lifes. Apparently he was such a perfectionist that the fruit would be rotting before he had finished.




He is also famous for his pictures of nude bathers.  The interesting thing is that he was shy of women and didn't use models but painted from photos.


One of Cezanne's obsessions was Mont Sainte-Victoire (which is near Aix in the South of France).  He painted it more than 60 times!


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. This was very interesting, and I was very surprised to see he used photos instead of models!

    I'm already a follower, but I'm visiting from Friday Chaos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Cezanne, especialy his mature works.
    I am your new follower from Aloha blog hop.
    If you like my blog fallow back
    http://becreativemommy.blogspot.co.uk
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lovely works of art. I love the tidbit about the fruit molding before he finished his painting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures!

    Stopping by from I love my post. Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can.


    Julie @ Naptime Review
    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminded me of art class back in High School, how I loved art class :)

    I found you on Saturday Blog Hop and am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a bit of culture at breakfast lol! I found your blog via "I love my posts #11 bloghop" and am now following I'd love it if you'd check out my blog post http://milkymoles.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/my-diet-i-devised-how-i-lost-27-pounds.html and if you like it follow too.
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers