Tuesday 26 June 2012

Beef stroganoff – an oldie but definitely a goodie!




Beef stroganoff is an old favourite of ours.  I like to use cheap cross cut blade steak so I cook it all for a bit longer at a moderate temperature to get the meat nice and tender.

I cut the steak up into thin strips. I add paprika, cayenne, turmeric and a packet soup (like spring vegetable) – just for its thickening qualities.  And a cup or so of water.

After 45 minutes or so, I added a punnet of sliced button mushrooms, a little porcini powder and a handful of dried pasta (I used penne).  Right at the end of the cooking I stirred in some sour cream.

For another recipe, click here


12 comments:

  1. yum. I haven't had beef stroganoff in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had it lately either! You come up with the best meal ideas!

    However - it is so HOT in Texas it's hard to think outside sandwiches and salads right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, it looks really yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im cooking beef stroganoff for dinner tonight! I haven't seen it cooked with the pasta throw into the dish before, works for me saves washing another pot! Might have to try that trick :)
    Thanks so much for putting me on your side list I feel very special

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole,
    Oh yum I haven't had anything like this in a while. It looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good! I haven't had a beef stroganoff in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole! Thanks for visiting me and for your sweet words. Beef stroganoff looks delicious & flavorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my all-time favourite dishes that my dad used to make. Your beef stroganoff looks amazing.

    -h

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so-o-o good Carole! Thanks for sharing on Creative Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are giving me a craving for Beef Stroganoff. Yum! Check out what we did for Thanksgiving in South Africa - my latest post. :)

    Tina - American mom raising 4 kids in South Africa
    http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How have I never made this!! I want it right now.

    -h

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's quick and easy for a weeknight meal. Thank you for sharing.

    We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/honduras-missions-making-bread-in-a-mud-oven

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers