Friday 27 April 2012

Collecting recipes - hard work but worth it

I risk being thought of as a bit of a trainspotter with this post.  As I have mentioned before I got sick of having lots of cook books – most of which only had a few recipes I would ever use.  So some years ago I decided to create my own recipe book/s.

I bought some school exercise books – ring bound ones – very cheap.  I divided them up into – soups, starters, salads and vegetables, mains, eggs & sauces and desserts.



I taped all my cuttings etc into the books.  Then I started on my least favourite cook books and felt like a vandal as I ripped out the recipes I wanted.  But I did find that the recipes ended up being so much less bulky than keeping the whole book.

The key to this working, though, is that I did an index for the recipes which I keep updated.  The index is by ingredient – so if I have lots of lemons, for instance, I can just look up lemons in my index and see all the recipes I have so that I can inspired as to what to do with them.

This might sound like quite a lot of work.  But I only update the books once or twice a year – generally when I am on holiday.  And when you do it, boy do you get hungry!

So now I only have about 5 cookbooks plus my recipe books.  The cookbooks I couldn’t part with include:

Stephanie Alexander’s Cooks Companion
Edmonds Cook Book – a NZ classic
3 Thai cookbooks – 2 from Spirit House and one from David Thomson

I do have a couple of Jamie Oliver books left but may give them the tough love treatment next year.

On re-reading this, I realise that I missed an opportunity to make the covers of my own recipe books beautiful.  But although they aren’t pretty, they are so useful.



5 comments:

  1. I have TONS of cookbooks! And so does Louis Dean. I love to read them even if I don't use them. Amber (my daughter) has a custom made cookbook given to her as a wedding gift. Complied by friends of her mother in law - it holds tried and true recipes! Amber uses it a good bit although the majority of HER cooking is doing her own thing!

    Your book sounds perfect.....keeping only what you USE! That would be a novel idea for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey if you love them and have space for them go for it - I ended up with so many that I was overwhelmed. And just havin g one index plus a couple of other books makes it much easier to get inspiration. Hope today is a good day for you. Am doing food on friday in a couple of hours - it is fish/seafood this week.

      Delete
  2. This is great Carole. You should see the stacks of loose recipes I have stuffed into the bookshelf next to my cookbooks! I think you're right.. maintaining an index is key to a homemade recipe journal.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - aand you need to back it up well so you don't lose it if your computer throws a wobbly.

      Delete
  3. I did the same thing! And now only collect old/antique cookbooks..they are fascinating to read!

    TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers