Friday 27 January 2012

Cook Books – Spirit House


I don’t normally like buying too many cook books.  They are usually full of recipes in which I have no interest.  My only exceptions are Stephanie Alexander’s book which I have already blogged about on the 28th November and the cook books I recently got as a result of going to the Spirit House cooking school (also blogged about here).  I bought 2 books but having now looked at them in detail, just one of them would be fine.

The original one is called Spirit House Thai Cooking by Helen Brierty and Annette Fear(2004).  It looks like this.
Spirit House Thai Cooking


The second one is called Essentially Thai – the only real difference is that they have simplified slightly some of the recipes. 

Essentially Thai: Spirit House
Either one would be a fine present to yourself or for someone interested in Thai food.  They are available online from Amazon and also in local bookshops.

Here is the recipe for green curry paste from the first one:

20 white peppercorns
2 tblsp coriander seeds, roasted
1 teasp cumin seeds, roasted
2 teasp salt
15 green chillies, seeded and chopped
2 small red onions (shallots), finely chopped
12 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tblsp lemon grass finely sliced,
2 teasp chopped galangal
4 teasp chopped coriander root
2 teasp chopped kaffir lime leaf
4 teasp shrimp paste, roasted

( for methods of “roasting” see my earlier blog re curry paste – here)

In a mortar, pound the pepper corns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and salt together.  Add remaining ingredients one at a time, and pound to a smooth paste. 







12 comments:

  1. Awesome! I made homemade curry for the first time recently--I'll have to give these a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thought of some of the recipes being simplified, especially when some of the ingredients in traditional Thai food are harder to find here. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Carole for sharing. I love Thai food. I love the use of coconut milk as well as the basil leaves. It is such a fragrant food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great of you to take the time to comment.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love homemade curry and I also like Thai. So nice to have a good cookbook recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as you know I have a love/hate relationship with cookbooks - but both of these have earned their place on my shelf.

      Delete
  5. the more simple one sounds right up my alley.lol
    is it time to buy myself another present...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you can be bothered sourcing the authentic ingredients

      Delete
  6. I love Thai, I'd go for the one that simplified the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they might be a bit simpler but they still use authentic ingredients so you will get the proper Thai flavours.

      Delete
  7. We like Thai food, but I have no idea how to cook it! Will have to look into these books.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers