Friday 20 March 2020

The Story Of Babar By Jean De Brunhoff




This charming, and somewhat dated, book was first published in French in the 1930's.

I thought the book was charming – funny illustrations – simple but beautiful words.


I understand some woke people criticise Babar as a story because the elephant goes into town and is bought clothes and a car by an old lady – a clear case of colonial exploitation  apparently.

But it is fiction – and not meant to be taken seriously.  Don't read it if you are easily offended.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Babar books when I was little and today elephants are my "cause" or whatever. The animal I donate money to help.

    I remember in one of the books Babar or one of his friends? made chocolate covered bananas? So I made some. What a mess and I think I burned the chocolate. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers