Monday 18 November 2019

Red Poppies by Emil Nolde (1920)




This vibrant watercolour was done by a Danish artist working in Germany who was condemned by Hitler as a menace to society – a pretty good recommendation!  The style reminds me of Jane Evans, a New Zealand artist who also did poppies – I posted about her here.

My attention was drawn to this work by a huge doorstop of a book I got from the library – The Art Book from Phaidon Press.  Get it out if you have strong enough muscles.   There are 579 pages, each dedicated to one work by an artist.  The artists are in alpha order so you get interesting juxtapositions between modern art and old masters.

2 comments:

  1. I love art books and possess several that I like to browse through from time to time, including one of Georgia O'Keefe who was justifiably famous for her flower paintings. Love the poppies.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers