Tuesday 1 October 2019

Skirt Steak – A Do-over


Carole's Chatter: Skirt Steak – A Do-over


Skirt Steak is not a common cut of beef here in New Zealand.  So when I saw it at the store, I thought I'd give it a go.

And for a relatively inexpensive cut, the flavour was really good – and it was a quick cook too.  It'll definitely be on the menu again.

The cut is one that you have to cook very quickly on a high heat or very low and slow – anything in between and it'll be tough as old boots.

To prepare the steak, I first removed any membrane on it.  Then I pounded it thin (with a pestle covered in cling film – you probably have a roller).  I then mainaded it for 20 minutes in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, olive oil and pepper.

Then get your pan really hot and put the steak in for only a couple of minutes before turning it over onto another part of the pan to do the other side.

Carole's Chatter: Skirt Steak – A Do-over

Let it rest and then slice it thinly – you need to cut across the grain and at an angle.  If you look at the pic of the raw meat you can see stripes – that's the direction of the grain so you cut across that.

Try and scoff your meat as soon as possible while it is still warm and juicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers