Saturday 19 January 2019

State of the Month – Ohio




Here is the next instalment of my monthly feature going through the States of the United States in alphabetical order to check out how they got named, what their flag is like and other things of interest. 


Location – Another MidWestern state that is actually North Eastern.

Origin of name – Named after the Ohio river, made me think of Olivia Newton John's song…


Nicknames – The Buckeye State


Flag


Capital – Columbus – also the largest city


Unusual town name – Knockemstiff


Flower – Red Carnation
Bird - Cardinal



Signature foods – Buckeyes, Shaker lemon pie, Cincinnati chilli


Famous places to visit – Hocking Hills State Park, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, Cedar Point Amusement Park (a goodie if you're into that sort of thing), Rock & Roll Hall of Fame,

Famous businesses/brands – Procter & Gamble, Abercrombie & Finch and Wendy's


Famous people from Ohio: George Clooney, Doris Day, Clark Gable, Bob Hope, Chrissie Hynde, Dean Martin, Paul Newman, Sarah Jessica Parker, Martin Sheen, Atul Gawande, Steven Spielberg, Neil Armstrong

Go to this Pinboard to see the States of the Month so far.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you feature my home state, where I've spent most of my life! You still had several tidbits that were new to me - like Shaker Lemon Pie - I'll have to do a little research : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure have made Buckeyes famous! But, Knockemstiff? That's to funny!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers