Tuesday 18 September 2018

Hing Chicken – using an unusual spice


Carole's Chatter: Hing Chicken


I called this chicken dish Hing Chicken in honour of my newest spice Asafoetida (which is also known as Hing).  I went to some trouble (and mileage) to source this spice in an effort to substitute for the flavours of onion/garlic.  And while it didn't taste exactly the same, it was a pleasant surprise.

I took some short cuts which I don't recommend to you.  But sometimes needs must. 

I have a nice casserole dish that you can also put on the hob.  So while the oven was heating up to a low/moderate temperature I fried off some spices in a little oil.  The spices I used were cayenne pepper, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin and a very small pinch of asafoetida.  Don't get put off by the smell of this spice – it adds a nice savoury note when fried off.

I then added some frozen chicken thighs (you should defrost them first!) , a small tin of tomato pulp, a tablespoon of grated ginger, a teaspoon of salt, 2 bay leaves and half a teaspoon of sugar (to balance out the tomato a bit).  I also included ½ cup of beef broth (but chicken stock would be better).

Then into the oven for about 3 hours – I tested the chicken with a meat thermometer to double check it was cooked.  Just before serving this with rice add some chopped spring onion tops (the green top parts of scallions) and some fresh basil.

1 comment:

  1. You always share such good looking food ;) And especially when I am starving!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers