Tuesday 19 September 2017

Eggplant Croquettes - A Return Visit



Carole's Chatter: Eggplant Croquettes - A Return Visit


I have not had much joy with cooking eggplant (aubergine). 

I made these Eggplant Croquettes having been inspired to do so by The Untamed Cook.  They were successful – the better half ate them – but for me they were still a little bit eggplanty ( I know that's not a proper word).  Next time I would add more potato and cheese.

To make them, I first charred 2 eggplants directly on the gas flame.  When they were pretty black I popped them into a bowl and covered it with cling film and let them cool for a while.  I then took off the skin with my fingers – not worrying too much if some little bits stayed on.

Then I mashed them and drained them of water by pressing down on them in a sieve.  I let them sit for about half an hour to drain.

To the eggplant I added, 1 medium potato (cooked & smushed), 1 small egg (beaten), 2 handfuls of grated cheese, salt and pepper – then mix it up and give it a bit of a whizz up with a stick blender or food processor.  Then add about a cup of breadcrumbs bit by bit until the mixture is firm enough to hold its shape.

Form into croquette shapes and then coat in breadcrumbs.

Rest your croquettes for at least half an hour in the fridge.  When ready, just shallow fry them until they are golden.  You could deep fry them as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of eggplant, here is another of your recipes I will bookmark!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers